#raspberrypi IRC Log

Index

IRC Log for 2011-08-31

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[0:00] <Thorn_> hmm, compiling perl on arm is being awkward
[0:01] <Thorn_> and it has the most obnoxious ./Configure of all time...
[0:01] <ukscone> of course it's written in sanskrit and theabian
[0:16] * ReimuHakurei (~kudo@wireless.sit-co.net) has joined #raspberrypi
[0:19] <mdavey> ...And there we go!
[0:19] * IT_Sean (~IT_Sean@applefritter/IRCStaff/UltimateMacUser1) has joined #raspberrypi
[0:21] * ukscone yawns
[0:24] * IT_Sean tosses a kernel of popcorn into ukscone's gaping maw mid-yawn
[0:24] <ukscone> you guys aren't very entertaining. you are supposed to be keeping me amused
[0:24] <ChrisLenz> http://memes.arcastel.com/hammertime/
[0:25] * ukscone chokes
[0:26] <mdavey> hmm
[0:26] <mdavey> Anyone happen to know the url for editing your mingle profile?
[0:26] <Thorn_> http://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-admin/profile.php
[0:26] <ukscone> http://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-admin/profile.php
[0:26] <Thorn_> ninja'd
[0:26] <ukscone> that one maybe?
[0:27] <mdavey> nope
[0:27] <Thorn_> never seen any other one
[0:27] <mdavey> the link's gone from the forum - along with the link to mark all posts read
[0:27] <ukscone> yup
[0:28] * ReimuHakurei (~kudo@wireless.sit-co.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 276 seconds)
[0:28] <ukscone> the mark all read has to be done via the url http://www.raspberrypi.org/?page_id=43&markallread=true
[0:28] <Thorn_> how dare they take features away!
[0:28] <Thorn_> it's time for a revolution!
[0:29] <Thorn_> SMF!
[0:29] <DaQatz> The forum software really sucks.
[0:29] <DaQatz> And we have no "native wiki"
[0:30] <Thorn_> yeah mingle is minging
[0:30] <ReggieUK> we have elinux.org for wiki don't we?
[0:31] <ReggieUK> btw. I'm not sure how long elinux will be up for
[0:31] <Thorn_> hasn't it already been up for years?
[0:31] <DaQatz> Using "someone elses" wiki isn't a goo way to do things.
[0:31] <DaQatz> Gets cluttered and easy to loose pages do to their site of issues.
[0:31] <Thorn_> elinux doesn't seem like "someone elses" wiki, i see it more as a centralized wiki for all these small devices...
[0:32] <ukscone> well liz did say in a while she was going to see about getting their own server to host all their stuff on there
[0:32] <ukscone> so then a decent forum and wiki can be installed
[0:35] <traeak> ugh, farming wikis is a chore
[0:39] <mdavey> Yup, elinux isn't going anywhere. BTW, by all means drop in to #elinux and say hi. wmat is the site administrator.
[0:41] * IT_Sean (~IT_Sean@applefritter/IRCStaff/UltimateMacUser1) Quit (Quit: Linkinus - http://linkinus.com)
[0:41] <Thorn_> i did!
[0:44] * Guest45265 (yang@freenode/sponsor/cacert.assurer.yang) Quit (*.net *.split)
[0:44] * ukscone (~Russell@cpe-68-173-234-162.nyc.res.rr.com) Quit (*.net *.split)
[0:44] * DaQatz (~DB@2001:55c:1822:86bf:bad:1dea:feed:face) Quit (*.net *.split)
[0:44] * Anppa (~attuomin@scoville.pc.hiit.fi) Quit (*.net *.split)
[0:44] * RobinJ (~RobinJ@unaffiliated/robinj) Quit (*.net *.split)
[0:44] * Thorn_ (~Thorn@osirion.org) Quit (*.net *.split)
[0:44] * Psoden (~psoden@vardant.be) Quit (*.net *.split)
[0:44] <mdavey> http://www.raspberrypi.org/?page_id=43&mingleforumaction=editprofile&user_id=x
[0:45] <traeak> gone!
[0:46] <mdavey> they'll be back.
[0:50] * ReimuHakurei (~kudo@wireless.sit-co.net) has joined #raspberrypi
[0:54] * ukscone (~Russell@cpe-68-173-234-162.nyc.res.rr.com) has joined #raspberrypi
[0:54] * Guest45265 (yang@freenode/sponsor/cacert.assurer.yang) has joined #raspberrypi
[0:54] * DaQatz (~DB@2001:55c:1822:86bf:bad:1dea:feed:face) has joined #raspberrypi
[0:54] * Anppa (~attuomin@scoville.pc.hiit.fi) has joined #raspberrypi
[0:54] * RobinJ (~RobinJ@unaffiliated/robinj) has joined #raspberrypi
[0:54] * Thorn_ (~Thorn@osirion.org) has joined #raspberrypi
[0:54] * Psoden (~psoden@vardant.be) has joined #raspberrypi
[0:54] <mdavey> hey traeak, notice how much quieter it is in here without them?
[0:54] <mdavey> oh, they're back.
[0:55] * mdavey *whistles*
[0:55] <DaQatz> Yes, because chat should be quiet.
[0:55] <Thorn_> *we're* back? you were the ones that missed all the fun!
[0:55] * ReimuHakurei (~kudo@wireless.sit-co.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 264 seconds)
[0:55] <Thorn_> we had a very intense conversation and stuff
[0:56] <mdavey> not according to the irc logs ;)
[0:57] <Thorn_> ;p
[0:58] <mdavey> next time you can take RaspberryPiBot with you - he's boring.
[0:58] <ShiftPlusOne> does qemu-system-arm not emulate any audio hardware?
[0:58] <mdavey> Hey RaspberryPiBot, want a beer?
[0:59] <DaQatz> You want "interesting" bots in here?
[0:59] <DaQatz> Easy enough to add.
[0:59] <DaQatz> I've written a few.
[0:59] <Thorn_> ShiftPlusOne: -audio-card-list ?
[0:59] <Thorn_> cant you just do something like qemu-system-arm blah blah -soundhw gus
[1:00] * IT_Sean (~IT_Sean@applefritter/IRCStaff/UltimateMacUser1) has joined #raspberrypi
[1:00] <mdavey> DaQatz: Was saying before about the cool 'bot that used to hang out in #eire serving beer.
[1:03] * Guest45265 (yang@freenode/sponsor/cacert.assurer.yang) Quit (*.net *.split)
[1:03] * ukscone (~Russell@cpe-68-173-234-162.nyc.res.rr.com) Quit (*.net *.split)
[1:03] * DaQatz (~DB@2001:55c:1822:86bf:bad:1dea:feed:face) Quit (*.net *.split)
[1:03] * Anppa (~attuomin@scoville.pc.hiit.fi) Quit (*.net *.split)
[1:03] * RobinJ (~RobinJ@unaffiliated/robinj) Quit (*.net *.split)
[1:03] * Thorn_ (~Thorn@osirion.org) Quit (*.net *.split)
[1:03] * Psoden (~psoden@vardant.be) Quit (*.net *.split)
[1:04] * mdavey looks at RaspberryPiBot
[1:04] <mdavey> Go on then...
[1:05] * ukscone (~Russell@cpe-68-173-234-162.nyc.res.rr.com) has joined #raspberrypi
[1:05] * Guest45265 (yang@freenode/sponsor/cacert.assurer.yang) has joined #raspberrypi
[1:05] * DaQatz (~DB@2001:55c:1822:86bf:bad:1dea:feed:face) has joined #raspberrypi
[1:05] * Anppa (~attuomin@scoville.pc.hiit.fi) has joined #raspberrypi
[1:05] * RobinJ (~RobinJ@unaffiliated/robinj) has joined #raspberrypi
[1:05] * Thorn_ (~Thorn@osirion.org) has joined #raspberrypi
[1:05] * Psoden (~psoden@vardant.be) has joined #raspberrypi
[1:08] <mdavey> traeak: and then the other one said, "we came into bus by town"
[1:10] <mdavey> ...and with that, I think I'll call it a night.
[1:11] <ShiftPlusOne> Thorn_, do you actually have sound working?
[1:11] <Thorn_> ShiftPlusOne: didn't try
[1:11] <Thorn_> still have a pretty barebones system... all this compiling is... slow
[1:12] <ShiftPlusOne> Thorn_, what's the output of "qemu-system-arm -soundhw ?" ?
[1:12] <Thorn_> if i type `beep` nothing happens, does that count? :P
[1:12] <Thorn_> none
[1:12] <ShiftPlusOne> well then... there you go
[1:13] <ShiftPlusOne> I've got everything compiled in and there's nothing there
[1:15] <DaQatz> Will be nice when we have real hardware...
[1:15] <DaQatz> Will be much easier
[1:15] <ShiftPlusOne> "easy" is for the weak.
[1:16] <ShiftPlusOne> and I am off to bed. 'night
[1:16] <Thorn_> the sad thing is i chucked out an old NAS which had a 450mhz arm just because the firmware it had was crap
[1:16] <Thorn_> (at the time i had no idea how easy it was to replace)
[1:42] <traeak> hmm...samsung rumoured to maybe buy webos
[1:51] <IT_Sean> iiiiiinteresting
[1:51] <Thorn_> can't get perl to compile - because nm is confused
[1:52] <Thorn_> nm: /lib/libc.so: File format not recognized
[1:52] <Thorn_> weird
[1:53] <DaQatz> Thorn_, you cross compiling?
[1:53] <Thorn_> nope, compiling in arm
[1:53] <DaQatz> Hmm
[1:53] <DaQatz> Perl is a b***h to cross compile.
[1:54] <Thorn_> http://pastebin.com/HcwUD9S8 libc.so looks like that, if it means anything
[1:56] * ReimuHakurei (~kudo@wireless.sit-co.net) has joined #raspberrypi
[1:57] <Thorn_> it's sad the amount of bloat you need
[1:57] <Thorn_> i only need perl because automake depends on it :P
[1:57] <Thorn_> autoconf *
[1:58] <DaQatz> Thorn_, output of "readelf -a /lib/libc.so.0"
[1:58] <Thorn_> erm, lots, lemme upload
[2:00] <Thorn_> http://pastebin.com/Jq96pG6c
[2:02] <DaQatz> Yeah seems your compiler isn't seeing /lib/libc.so as the ld script it is.
[2:02] <DaQatz> It needs to link /lib/libc.so.0
[2:03] <Thorn_> isn't that what the GROUP (libc.so.0 ...) line in lib.so does ?
[2:03] <Thorn_> libc.so*
[2:14] * ReggieUK (ReggieUK@5ac9ad32.bb.sky.com) Quit (Ping timeout: 276 seconds)
[2:16] * ReggieUK (ReggieUK@5aca56a1.bb.sky.com) has joined #raspberrypi
[2:25] * ReggieUK (ReggieUK@5aca56a1.bb.sky.com) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[2:26] * ReggieUK (ReggieUK@5aca56a1.bb.sky.com) has joined #raspberrypi
[2:27] <ReggieUK> stoopid internets
[3:15] * IT_Sean (~IT_Sean@applefritter/IRCStaff/UltimateMacUser1) Quit (Quit: Linkinus - http://linkinus.com)
[3:50] <ReggieUK> anyone know hoe many uarts the raspi will have?
[3:50] <ReggieUK> would awesome if it was 2 or 3
[3:55] <ReggieUK> just the 1 then according to the wiki
[4:48] * atts (~adam@146-115-165-244.c3-0.wth-ubr1.sbo-wth.ma.cable.rcn.com) has left #raspberrypi
[5:27] <ukscone> that's better. a nice 3 hour nap to get me through to bed time
[5:27] <ukscone> and yay it's bed time :)
[7:24] <DaQatz> So quiet
[7:45] <ahven> yep
[7:45] <ahven> Europe pretty much is waking up
[8:23] * vexorg (~vexorg@h216-18-7-221.gtconnect.net) has joined #raspberrypi
[8:39] * ctyler (~chris@global.proximity.on.ca) Quit (Ping timeout: 258 seconds)
[8:45] * ctyler (~chris@global.proximity.on.ca) has joined #raspberrypi
[9:21] <ahven> The BCM2835 USB port comes out on model A.
[9:21] <ahven> On Model B it goes to the LAN9512 which has three USB ports and an Ethernet port. The LAN9512 has one slave port and two master ports. The slave port of the LAN9512 talks to the BCM2835 USB Master port. The two master ports of the LAN9512 and the Ethernet port come out. Most of this you can find in the LAN9512 data sheet.
[9:21] <ahven> and that wraps it up nicely
[9:25] <mdavey> ahven: yup :D
[9:38] * mdavey (~chatzilla@host217-35-75-188.in-addr.btopenworld.com) Quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
[10:16] * mdavey (~chatzilla@mail.aminocom.com) has joined #raspberrypi
[10:49] <ahven> hmm, should try compiling in arm as well, as there is "some" time until the real thing
[10:50] <ahven> have to review logs one evening :)
[10:56] <ahven> someone involved could set up some guidelines for it, I hope the new website (with a wiki I hope) arrives soon
[11:05] * rm (rm@fsf/member/rm) has left #raspberrypi
[11:08] <ahven> Thorn_: care to ellaborate a bit? :)
[11:08] <ahven> my home pc is currently idling, might as well give it some work to do :P
[11:26] <ahven> compiling and running qemu is a snap, no problem there
[11:27] <ahven> but since there isn't any real rootfs yet I might go with the debian installer atm
[11:50] <ahven> or I might be smashing my head against the wall with that
[11:55] <ahven> might as well do that then, have the time :)
[11:59] <ahven> ShiftPlusOne: can you link to that needed patch, mentioned in here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/?page_id=43&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=261 ?
[12:03] * ReggieUK (ReggieUK@5aca56a1.bb.sky.com) Quit (Ping timeout: 250 seconds)
[12:09] * ReggieUK (~ReggieUK@5aceb2c6.bb.sky.com) has joined #raspberrypi
[12:16] * ReggieUK (~ReggieUK@5aceb2c6.bb.sky.com) Quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[12:20] * ReggieUK (ReggieUK@5aceb2c9.bb.sky.com) has joined #raspberrypi
[12:34] <Thorn_> mo
[12:38] <Thorn_> ahven: basically, i just downloaded http://landley.net/aboriginal/downloads/binaries/system-image-armv6l.tar.bz2 , and swapped the arm1136-r2 in the run script for arm1176(only available in qemu git) and you have a full basic system up :)
[12:38] <ShiftPlusOne> ahven, sorry I was asleep..... http://dl.dropbox.com/u/175702/linux-arm.patch
[12:39] <ShiftPlusOne> and config
[12:39] <ShiftPlusOne> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/175702/config
[12:42] <ShiftPlusOne> and a very basic rootfs being uploaded now to http://dl.dropbox.com/u/175702/rootfs.ext2
[12:44] <ahven> ah, very nice :)
[12:45] <ShiftPlusOne> hang on, I'll upload a different config, I don't like that one
[12:46] <ShiftPlusOne> new config http://dl.dropbox.com/u/175702/config (just save it as .config in the linux folder)
[12:47] <ShiftPlusOne> should I write a tutorial on how to cross-compile a kernel?
[12:47] <ShiftPlusOne> (manually)
[12:48] <ahven> wouldn't hurt :)
[12:48] <ahven> I bet there will be lot of similar questions in the future
[12:51] <ShiftPlusOne> and I just realised my cpu has some virtualisation support so virtualbox works almost as fast as the host... yay.
[12:51] <Thorn_> i have VT-x and have virtualbox acceleration enabled
[12:51] <Thorn_> and it's about as fast as a 3 legged donkey
[12:51] <ShiftPlusOne> what's your CPU?
[12:51] <Thorn_> Intel Q8400 running @ 3.4ghz
[12:52] <ShiftPlusOne> how many cores is that?
[12:52] <Thorn_> 4
[12:52] <ShiftPlusOne> ok, then mine's comparable
[12:52] <ShiftPlusOne> what's the guest os?
[12:52] <ahven> Thorn_: qemu from git?
[12:52] <ShiftPlusOne> ahven, yes you'll need to get qemu from git
[12:52] <Thorn_> ShiftPlusOne: windows xp ;p
[12:53] <ShiftPlusOne> Thorn_, well there's your problem.... windows sucks as a guest... it steals stuff.
[12:54] <Thorn_> qemu git seems to 404 now
[12:54] <ahven> err, cloning atm
[12:54] <ahven> git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/qemu.git
[12:54] <ShiftPlusOne> no!
[12:54] <ShiftPlusOne> not the savannah one
[12:55] <ShiftPlusOne> that one is old
[12:55] <Thorn_> http://git.qemu.org/qemu.git
[12:55] <ShiftPlusOne> 0.13.something.... you need 0.15.something
[12:55] <ShiftPlusOne> that's the one
[12:55] <ShiftPlusOne> Thorn has uploaded the files somewhere, it might be faster to download them there then run git pull --rebase
[12:56] <Thorn_> oh yes, forgot i uploaded them
[12:56] <Thorn_> http://thoronir.net/qemu-git.tar.bz2
[12:57] <ShiftPlusOne> Thorn_, do you intend to keep it uploaded there?
[12:57] <ahven> 2011-08-31 13:57:01 (5,27 MB/s)
[12:57] <ahven> nice speeds atm :)
[12:57] <Thorn_> ShiftPlusOne: sure, lemme put it in a subfolder and i'll leave it there permanantely
[12:58] <ShiftPlusOne> So... for the tutorial, should I assume basic knowledge... people knowing the difference between root and non-root as well as basic command line operation and software installation?
[12:58] <Thorn_> yes
[12:58] <ahven> I think so, this is a developer device mainly
[12:58] <ahven> for the moment atleast
[12:58] <ShiftPlusOne> ok
[12:59] <Thorn_> ShiftPlusOne: http://thoronir.net/qemu/qemu-git.tar.bz2 permanent
[12:59] <ShiftPlusOne> Thorn_, and it's not built, just the source, right?
[12:59] <Thorn_> just the source
[12:59] <ShiftPlusOne> ok, thanks
[13:00] <ahven> Thorn_: did you use any specific flags while compiling?
[13:00] <ahven> to configure*
[13:00] <Thorn_> i used ./configure --enable-vde --enable-kvm
[13:01] <Thorn_> i'm not sure if enable-kvm actually does anything when emulating arm
[13:01] <Thorn_> but vde is nice for networking etc
[13:02] <ahven> I don't have virtualization on my host, that is sad
[13:03] <ShiftPlusOne> --enable-sdl is a good one
[13:03] <ahven> it isn't enabled by default?
[13:04] <ShiftPlusOne> ahven, wasn't for me... maybe because it didn't detect libsdl-dev
[13:04] <mdavey> ShiftPlusOne: If you could do a tutorial, that would be awesome! I'd suggest creating it as a seperate page on elinux and then linking to it from the development evinronments section of http://elinux.org/RaspberryPiBoard , but your mileage may vary.
[13:04] <ShiftPlusOne> and yeah, you won't be able to accelerate anything that's not the same CPU as you're running. They could do JIT and other tricks to speed it up, but I don't think they do.
[13:13] <ahven> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=624070
[13:13] <ahven> hitting this, disabling kvm and trying again
[13:14] <ahven> since I don't have any of that support
[13:14] <ahven> I hope they are not used elsewhere :P
[13:15] * datagutt (~datagutt@unaffiliated/datagutt) has joined #raspberrypi
[13:18] <ahven> strange that I'm getting that
[13:19] <ahven> yep, old headers
[13:49] <ahven> strange error, had to disable vnc, though I wasn't planning on using it
[14:06] <amandarn> I hate distros with a whole bunch of packages you actually don't need.
[14:06] <amandarn> And hi.
[14:07] <amandarn> Seriously, compiling qemu with hands ? :o
[14:10] <Thorn_> i hate base packages that require other packages which just causes bloat
[14:10] <Thorn_> ie autoconf relying on perl...
[14:10] <Thorn_> disgusting!
[14:11] <ReggieUK> welcome to my world amandarn
[14:12] <ReggieUK> nigh on everything we do on leapfrog has to be done by hand
[14:13] <ReggieUK> or compiling against pre-compile uclibc that someone else supplied
[14:13] <ReggieUK> I would dearly love to know how to recompile it with al the settings leapfrog used
[14:14] <amandarn> haha
[14:14] <ReggieUK> it does weird stuff where it compiles off 0.9.29 then we have to 'borrow' uclibc from their updater packages :/
[14:15] <amandarn> Seriously, you could use a gentoo and distcc... I wonder what a '-j0' option to make would do, in that case ;)
[14:16] <ReggieUK> 1/2 of the scripts they've supplied to us 1/2 work because of proprietary stuff they don't give us
[14:16] <amandarn> haha
[14:16] <amandarn> Poor you
[14:17] <amandarn> Seriously, I feel empathy
[14:17] <ReggieUK> http://pastebin.com/hMUL5afw
[14:17] <ReggieUK> one day I'll work all of it out
[14:17] <ReggieUK> in reality I've got 90% of their stuff working
[14:18] <amandarn> It reminds me a bit of the ATI proprietary drivers package >_<
[14:18] <ReggieUK> but it involves rebuilding from our sourfces and their released binary updates for packages
[14:18] <amandarn> Or recode everything
[14:18] <amandarn> I mean "rewrite full code"
[14:19] <ShiftPlusOne> can someone help me out? how do you apply the aboriginal linux-arm patch to a kernel manually?
[14:19] <Thorn_> patch -p0? :P
[14:19] * Thorn_ ducks
[14:19] <amandarn> using the 'patch' utility :x
[14:19] * amandarn ducks too.
[14:19] <ShiftPlusOne> .... you guys are useless
[14:19] <amandarn> Thanks :)
[14:19] <ReggieUK> put it in the source root dir, and patch -pXX until it stops rejecting
[14:20] <ShiftPlusOne> ReggieUK, I've tried, but I'll give it another go
[14:21] <ReggieUK> http://www.scribd.com/doc/270327/Applying-Patches-to-the-Linux-Kernel
[14:22] <ReggieUK> 2nd page
[14:22] <ReggieUK> after the one that is presented to you
[14:22] <ReggieUK> erm, 1st page after even
[14:22] <ReggieUK> got a link to the patch?
[14:22] <ShiftPlusOne> http://landley.net/hg/aboriginal/raw-diff/f6153a16bfad/sources/patches/linux-arm.patch
[14:23] <ShiftPlusOne> buildroot applies the patch without any problems, just can't do it manually for some reason
[14:25] <ShiftPlusOne> maybe different kernel version, I'll try the original.
[14:25] <ShiftPlusOne> yeah that has to be it, I thought it worked for 3.0.4 as well, but now I am pretty sure it's 3.0 only
[14:25] * Reggie__ (ReggieUK@90.206.178.201) has joined #raspberrypi
[14:25] <Reggie__> does buildroot do logs?
[14:25] <ShiftPlusOne> probably
[14:26] <ShiftPlusOne> I'll try 3.0 first
[14:27] * ReggieUK (ReggieUK@5aceb2c9.bb.sky.com) Quit (Ping timeout: 258 seconds)
[14:28] * Reggie__ is now known as ReggieUK
[14:29] <ReggieUK> just grep the log files for patch
[14:32] * IT_Sean (~IT_Sean@applefritter/IRCStaff/UltimateMacUser1) has joined #raspberrypi
[14:32] <ShiftPlusOne> I can't find any log files
[14:33] <ShiftPlusOne> there's a toolchain/patch-kernel.sh though.. I'll take a look at that
[14:34] * IT_Sean has a coworker that, despite the entire office being on Skype, leaves handwritten notes on my desk if i am not in my office. I call it Analog Skype.
[14:35] <ReggieUK> does he draw a smiley face on it too?
[14:35] <IT_Sean> he does not
[14:35] <ReggieUK> cos that would be analog video messaging
[14:35] <ReggieUK> blergh, fail
[14:35] <IT_Sean> heh
[14:36] <ReggieUK> plater his/her desk with postit notes with your skype details on it
[14:36] <ReggieUK> plaster*
[14:36] <IT_Sean> i would if he hadn't already snarf'd all my post-it notes :/
[14:36] <IT_Sean> he HAS my skype details. I've skyp'd him from my iPhone.
[14:37] <IT_Sean> *skype'd
[14:37] <ReggieUK> perhaps he/she likes being near your 'space' when you're not around?
[14:37] <amandarn> Build a postit-burner robot...
[14:37] <IT_Sean> nah... he's just... ... odd
[14:40] <IT_Sean> i do like hte idea of a postit burner robot. But, despite my position as BOFH, an open flame in the office would probably be frowned upon
[14:41] <ReggieUK> hack his keyboard with one of those 'record your own stupid birthday card message' things, every time he hits caps, it gives him your skype details
[14:41] <IT_Sean> that is positivly evil
[14:41] <IT_Sean> I like it
[14:42] <ReggieUK> or a quick refinement would be the shift key, will get more hits
[14:45] <amandarn> Then a postit-tearer robot.
[14:45] <ShiftPlusOne> ok this patch thing is annoying
[14:50] <ReggieUK> does buildroot output anything to the screen while it's patching?
[14:51] <ShiftPlusOne> hang on... that patch link is wrong, I think
[14:51] <ShiftPlusOne> ok, that explains it.
[14:51] <ReggieUK> do tell?
[14:51] <ShiftPlusOne> I'll figure it out, then I'll tell
[14:51] <ReggieUK> hehehe
[14:51] <ShiftPlusOne> because I'll be making stuff up right now
[14:52] * atts (~asheehan@static-99-136-171-68.axsne.net) has joined #raspberrypi
[15:05] <ahven> henrik@henrik:~/sorts/git$ qemu-system-arm --version
[15:05] <ahven> QEMU emulator version 0.15.50, Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Fabrice Bellard
[15:05] <ahven> and have one part of the puzzle :P
[15:07] <ShiftPlusOne> yes, the patch link is wrong... it's a patch for the patch.
[15:08] <ReggieUK> oh, that's a bit wonky, no wonder it gave you grief
[15:09] <ahven> ShiftPlusOne: as read from the .config that is meant for the first stable 3.0 release?
[15:09] <ahven> as in http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.0/linux-3.0.tar.bz2 for example?
[15:11] <ShiftPlusOne> which version are you using?
[15:11] <ShiftPlusOne> you can always use make oldconfig
[15:13] <ahven> will stick to 3.0.0 then for the time being
[15:15] <ShiftPlusOne> Thorn_, are you areound?
[15:15] <ShiftPlusOne> *around
[15:24] <Thorn_> a bit
[15:24] <Thorn_> why?
[15:24] <ShiftPlusOne> do you want to host the patch as well so that people don't have to download aboriginal if they want to do it manually?
[15:25] <Thorn_> sure, link?
[15:25] <ShiftPlusOne> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/175702/linux-arm.patch
[15:25] <ShiftPlusOne> I can leave it in dropbox, but I am not sure how reliable it is if a lot of people will download from there
[15:25] <Thorn_> thoronir.net/qemu/linux-arm.patch
[15:25] <Thorn_> i should probably rename that folder to something else then
[15:26] <ShiftPlusOne> raspi-dev ?
[15:26] <Thorn_> k
[15:26] <Thorn_> http://thoronir.net/raspi-dev/
[15:26] <ShiftPlusOne> if it's a problem I've got a linode I can host it from (I am just lazy), so let me know.
[15:27] <Thorn_> it's a dedicated server on a 1gbit pipe, should be fine :>
[15:27] <Thorn_> *back to afik ->
[15:27] * IT_Sean pokes Thorn_ with a 1gbit pipe
[15:36] <ukscone> morning all
[15:40] * IT_Sean (~IT_Sean@applefritter/IRCStaff/UltimateMacUser1) has left #raspberrypi
[15:41] <ahven> 'ello
[15:42] <ahven> ah, -p1, not -p0
[15:48] <ukscone> oh bugger it_sean has left i was going to send him a link
[15:48] <ukscone> so what'd i miss?
[15:49] <ahven> ShiftPlusOne is putting a little document on cross-compiling to ARM
[15:49] <ShiftPlusOne> cross-compiling the kernel anyway
[15:50] <ukscone> yup iirc liz and eben said the kernel will be a 2.6.35+ but < 3.0 version so we'd need to mod aboriginal
[15:50] <ukscone> to use that instead
[15:50] <ukscone> forget which one br is on atm
[15:51] <ShiftPlusOne> why <3?
[15:51] <ukscone> because 3 is still too new and a moving target. stick to a known stable unless you have to upgrade
[15:52] <ukscone> get everything working well on 2.6 then think about joining mainline later
[15:52] <ukscone> at least that's what i'd do
[15:52] <ShiftPlusOne> ah, so there's nothing wrong with using 3.0.4 (latest stable) for now if it's just to test out software
[15:52] <ukscone> not as if they need a machine_id yet as they aren't using a bootloader
[15:53] <ukscone> yup you might have some small probs but they will be rare unless you are messing with stuff like drivers and low level progs in busybox like the nand tools
[15:55] <ukscone> i've always choosen to use a kernel between 2 and x patch levels lower than the latest as then you know you aren't going to run into weird bugs or corner cases as the kernel will be very stable and not changing all the time
[16:01] * mdavey (~chatzilla@mail.aminocom.com) Quit (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)
[16:02] * mdavey (~chatzilla@visitor-net.aminocom.com) has joined #raspberrypi
[16:10] <ukscone> morning mdavey
[16:12] * IT_MEETING (~IT_Sean@75.99.105.74) has joined #raspberrypi
[16:13] <IT_MEETING> anyone 'ere?
[16:14] <ahven> nope
[16:14] <atts> what's up hotdog
[16:15] <IT_MEETING> not much.
[16:15] <IT_MEETING> Inna departmental meeting
[16:15] <ukscone> IT_MEETING: only us chickens
[16:15] <ukscone> IT_MEETING: so why are you in the irc channel then you are supposed to be listening to the meeting
[16:16] <IT_MEETING> Because the bit of the meeting that requires my input is over, and it's degraded into a laod of electrical engineers arguing over the placement of small electronical bits on a circuit board
[16:17] <ukscone> tell them to just put everything in the corner and use the rest as a cup holder
[16:17] <IT_MEETING> we tried that.
[16:18] <IT_MEETING> It caused... issues.
[16:18] <ShiftPlusOne> ukscone, brilliant
[16:18] <ukscone> the cup holder needed to be bigger, much more stable that way and less spillage issues
[16:18] <IT_MEETING> besides... the government cup holder approval process is murder
[16:19] <ukscone> IT_MEETING: when you get access to a browser you might want to impl. this for your analog skpe user http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0132.html
[16:19] <ukscone> but government cup holders area real profit maker
[16:19] <ukscone> at least $600 per holder and then you have to have the standardisation and certification process. make money for years from it
[16:20] <ukscone> IT_MEETING: have you decided what colour it should be yet or is that for a later meeting?
[16:20] <IT_MEETING> We did decide on a colo(u)r
[16:20] <ukscone> and do people want it to be insertable naselly?
[16:21] <IT_MEETING> No, people do not want naselly insertable fire.
[16:21] * IT_MEETING got the reference, and is now moving on
[16:21] <ukscone> :)
[16:21] <ukscone> i'd have been surprised if anyone didn't get the reference
[16:21] * IT_MEETING has the entire series of books in a single leatherbound tome, and has read it several times
[16:22] <ukscone> i heard the original on the radio :) and have mp3's of it plus the books plus a bound copy of all the books plus the ebboks.....
[16:22] <IT_MEETING> I have the radio series in mp3 format as well
[16:23] <ukscone> ok time to kick the kid out of the house yay
[16:23] <IT_MEETING> I had the eBooks on my Palm T|X, but it died.
[16:23] <IT_MEETING> fun
[16:23] <ukscone> i have a horrible 5 days coming up though
[16:23] <IT_MEETING> oh?
[16:23] <ukscone> wife is taking vacation from work. really puts a damper on my normal week day activities
[16:24] <ukscone> it's really hard to stay in bed on the computer and napping all day if she is there to see
[16:24] <IT_MEETING> normal weekday activites being... what... ? walking around without pants, and watching television?
[16:24] <IT_MEETING> heh
[16:24] <ukscone> and she'll catch me using heavy cream instead of milk on my cerael
[16:25] <IT_MEETING> ouch.
[16:25] <ukscone> for some reason she doens't like it when i use cream instead of milk
[16:25] <IT_MEETING> swap the cotnents of the containers
[16:25] <IT_MEETING> *contents
[16:25] <ukscone> something about cholesterol or some such rubbish
[16:25] <ukscone> and she'l make me only have 3 strips of bacon and not a whole pound on my bacon butty
[16:26] * IT_MEETING never liked bacon
[16:26] <ukscone> bacon and horseradish sauce is great
[16:26] <ukscone> add cheeder cheese and chips and you have food of the gods
[16:26] <ahven> question: http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/docs/kerncomp.php , step 7
[16:27] <IT_MEETING> can i have the spam spam sausage bacon and spam without the spam and bacon?
[16:27] <ahven> are these instructions up to date?
[16:27] <ahven> it seems to be compiling atm
[16:27] <ukscone> IT_MEETING: only if you are pining for the fyords
[16:28] <IT_MEETING> Long as i don't get nailed to anything
[16:28] * IT_MEETING used to drive a fyord... Drove it right into a bridge piling.
[16:29] <IT_MEETING> :p
[16:31] <ukscone> heh
[16:31] <IT_MEETING> it was crap.
[16:31] <ukscone> when i was a kid we had a ford fairlane ex-herse -- was a great car as it still had the roller bar and the brass rails and curtins
[16:32] <IT_MEETING> nice
[16:32] <ukscone> used to lie in the back and wave at the people staring at it
[16:32] <IT_MEETING> I had a 1996 Ford Explorer. In green.
[16:32] <ukscone> died at teh bottom of a 1 in 7 hill -- gearbox went and it was going to be 1000 quid to replace it so we had it towed up the hill and then scrapped
[16:33] <IT_MEETING> The Exploder was pretty reliable, until i drive it into a bridge piling. Must have bent the frame because it ate three gearboxes in four months. I scrapped it after that.
[16:35] <IT_MEETING> Even barring that, it never really felt right. Always squeaked and rattled. You could tell it had been in a crash.
[16:36] <ahven> Kernel: arch/arm/boot/zImage is ready
[16:36] <ahven> :)
[16:37] <IT_MEETING> Shame. It was a high spec model, 4 door, with a 5 speed. Rare combination.
[16:37] <ShiftPlusOne> what's the linux command to get an absolute path?
[16:37] <ahven> pwd
[16:38] <ShiftPlusOne> thanks
[16:38] <ShiftPlusOne> what if it's not for the current directory?
[16:39] <ahven> hmm, just use as a parameter to pwd?
[16:39] <ShiftPlusOne> nope
[16:41] <ahven> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) on device 8:0.
[16:41] <ahven> yay
[16:42] <ShiftPlusOne> nvrm, you have to make a script to do that.
[16:43] <ahven> hmm, it got stuck on "Starting network"
[16:44] <ShiftPlusOne> What do you guys prefer, installing the toolchain or just extracting the tarball and using it from there?
[16:44] <ahven> second
[16:44] <ShiftPlusOne> same
[16:45] <ShiftPlusOne> That's how I wrote the instructions, but I figured maybe that's just me
[16:45] <ahven> too much of a hassle, doubt the performance difference will be noticable
[16:45] <ukscone> ugh the r-pi website/form is down
[16:45] <ukscone> someone kick the server will ya
[16:46] <ukscone> ah they did
[16:46] <IT_MEETING> erver pooped itself?
[16:46] <IT_MEETING> *server
[16:48] <ukscone> ugh anyone got a hazmat suit i can borrow -- i have to vnture into the kids room to look for his lecture clicker thingy
[16:49] <IT_MEETING> just old your breath and run
[16:49] <IT_MEETING> *hold
[16:49] <ukscone> i think i'll send the cats in first -- use them as faux caneries
[16:50] <IT_MEETING> nooo.. poor kitties
[16:50] <ukscone> better them than me
[16:50] <IT_MEETING> that's just not right
[16:50] <IT_MEETING> I still vote for the hold your breath and run method
[16:50] <ahven> hmm, even if I comment out the network in the qemu command line it still hangs on network scripts
[16:51] <ahven> only says that lo is already configured
[16:51] * IT_MEETING hands ukscone a stack of health and safety forms he has to fill out before he can be issued a hazmat suit
[16:51] <ukscone> i think i'll tell him i couldn't see it and he'll have to look for it
[16:52] <IT_MEETING> there is a thought
[16:52] <ukscone> at least we know it's in an area 6'x6'x6' unless he trod on it and then it's in pieces in an area 18'x9'x12'
[17:02] <ukscone> found it along with his photocopier card
[17:02] <ukscone> but now i need to get a tetnus booster
[17:03] <IT_MEETING> it cannot be THAT bad
[17:05] <ukscone> i'd take a photo if i could find my camera
[17:05] <ukscone> he had it last so who knows where it is
[17:06] <ukscone> i can't actually talk too much as when i was his age i was probably worse in certain ways but my mess was computer related books, mags and printouts and i always knew which pile stuff was in
[17:06] <ukscone> and i used the lino on the floor as a note book/whiteboard
[17:06] <IT_MEETING> heh
[17:08] <IT_MEETING> aaand... meeting over
[17:08] * IT_MEETING (~IT_Sean@75.99.105.74) Quit (Quit: meeting over)
[17:12] <ShiftPlusOne> Is it just me or is the elinux wiki editor not very good?
[17:14] <ShiftPlusOne> how do you insert a codeblock/
[17:14] <ShiftPlusOne> ?
[17:15] <ahven> ShiftPlusOne: did you use a tap device for networking?
[17:15] <ahven> with that rootfs
[17:15] <ShiftPlusOne> ahven, nope, I haven't done any of that yet
[17:15] <ahven> ah ok
[17:15] <ahven> might have to mount it and check what's going on around there
[17:16] <ShiftPlusOne> After I write the compiling qemu wiki, I'll do a using qemu wiki
[17:16] * ahven pokes Thorn_
[17:16] <ahven> but atleast the kernel is booting :)
[17:21] <ShiftPlusOne> http://raspi.springnote.com/pages/8234994
[17:23] <ShiftPlusOne> I've ran through that page in a clean ubuntu 11.04 install to make sure it works, but it would be good if someone proof-read it.
[17:23] <ukscone> http://www.dealextreme.com/p/80-key-qwerty-wired-keyboard-w-protective-leather-case-for-7-8-tablet-pc-black-100082 bit expensive for a keyboard but this could be quite nice for using with the rpi
[17:25] <ukscone> ShiftPlusOne: just one complaint in the text of that page -- i'd say that the example instructions are for ubuntu because of the sudo apt-xxxxxxx :)
[17:26] <ukscone> ah sorry you did
[17:26] <ShiftPlusOne> "We're assuming you're running Ubuntu, modify for your distro."
[17:26] <ukscone> i didn't see it because i was using a tiny font
[17:26] <ukscone> i expected that statement to be in the first 4 bullet points :)
[17:27] <ShiftPlusOne> "You are able to install software for your particular Linux distro."
[17:27] <ukscone> good going though
[17:30] <ahven> yep, nicely understandable
[17:31] <ShiftPlusOne> I don't want to fragment the documentation though, so if someone could port it over to elinux, that would be awesome. I don't like that they don't have a WYSIWYG editor or proper X/HTML support, so I cbf.
[17:37] <ahven> heh, perhaps this rootfs is bit incomplete :)
[17:38] <ShiftPlusOne> which?
[17:40] * mdavey (~chatzilla@visitor-net.aminocom.com) Quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
[17:40] * mdavey (~chatzilla@mail.aminocom.com) has joined #raspberrypi
[17:41] <ReggieUK> http://www.dealextreme.com/p/7-usb-plug-n-play-touch-screen-digitizer-for-asus-eee-pc-701-umpc-laptops-16124
[17:41] <ahven> ShiftPlusOne: your link, though adding init=/bin/sh brings it alive
[17:42] <ShiftPlusOne> ahven, what's wrong with it?
[17:42] <ShiftPlusOne> but yes, it is VERY minimal, it's just busybox pretty much
[17:42] <ahven> yep, didn't look in the image at start :)
[17:43] <ahven> what is the default place to start init, if nothing is specified?
[17:43] <ShiftPlusOne> it's just a "hey, it works" thing
[17:43] <ahven> Linux (none) 3.0.0 #1 Wed Aug 31 17:35:53 EEST 2011 armv6l GNU/Linux
[17:43] <ShiftPlusOne> /linuxrc I think
[17:43] <ReggieUK> http://www.dealextreme.com/p/portable-7-tft-lcd-monitor-with-av-in-480-x-234-12v-dc-65333
[17:44] <ShiftPlusOne> ooh, cheap.
[17:45] <ReggieUK> doesn't busybox define startup through /etc/inittab?
[17:45] <ReggieUK> sorry, do init not define startup :D
[17:45] <ShiftPlusOne> idn, I just saw /linuxrc and assumed that's what that is
[17:46] <ahven> couldn't we just install debian version of arm?
[17:46] <ShiftPlusOne> quite easily
[17:46] <ReggieUK> linuxrc is directed to busybox (link or something) which then does inittab, which then calls your /etc/init.d/ or wherever, helper scripts
[17:46] <ahven> yep, that works
[17:47] <ahven> but currently there is nothing after trying to get networking up
[17:47] <ahven> so it just stops there :)
[17:47] <Thorn_> re
[17:47] <ShiftPlusOne> ahven, probably your dodgy network settings
[17:47] * Thorn_ went binraking
[17:47] <Thorn_> found the old nas i threw out!
[17:47] <Thorn_> has a 450mhz arm
[17:48] <ahven> well, I don't have full networking enabled for qemu
[17:48] <Thorn_> and the flash is standard CSYS .bin so i wonder if i can reflash with my own rootfs...
[17:48] <ahven> need to start up the bridge again
[17:48] <ReggieUK> http://pastebin.com/a34ccw6T
[17:48] <ReggieUK> a snippet from the leapfrog /etc/inittab
[17:48] <ReggieUK> and /etc/init.d/rcS is where all the action happens
[17:49] <ReggieUK> that's where you break, errr, run all the configs for anything the kernel didn't handle during driver bringup
[17:50] <ReggieUK> I quite like the idea of building an r-pi rootfs ourselves from the ground up
[17:50] <ReggieUK> as well as having something that's handled for you
[17:50] <Thorn_> yep
[17:50] <ahven> ah, I might know one dodgy setting, the ttyAMA0
[17:51] <ShiftPlusOne> ahven, I wouldn't bother with that rootfs and just use the aboriginal one
[17:51] <ShiftPlusOne> it has a compiler and everything
[17:51] <Thorn_> yep, then swap the rootfs filesystem for some ext so you writeback
[17:51] <Thorn_> can writeback*
[17:52] <Thorn_> i went for ext3 on the rootfs instead of squash but it takes 3 times as long to boot now (qemu arm emu)
[17:52] <ShiftPlusOne> if you run_development.sh (or something like that) it mounts an extra /home which is an ext2 fs
[17:52] <ReggieUK> having a preset everything on rootfs is great for just setting up and running but bare rootfs can be sooo lean :)
[17:52] <Thorn_> ShiftPlusOne: yep, but still not useful if you just want to be lazy when building from src and go 'make install' :P
[17:52] <ReggieUK> which bare rootfs?
[17:53] <ReggieUK> I think it could be automated relatively simply
[17:53] <ShiftPlusOne> Thorn_, there's a filesystem which you can mount over squashfs which only saves the changes
[17:53] <ReggieUK> so that you could have different levels of lean vs lazy
[17:53] <ShiftPlusOne> it's like having an rw layer over a base squashfs.
[17:54] <ShiftPlusOne> ReggieUK, yup, the one i've compiled only uses a few megs of ram
[17:54] <ShiftPlusOne> well buildroot... I didn't do anything
[17:54] <ShiftPlusOne> can't take the credit
[17:57] <ReggieUK> I can get the whole rootfs into 8MB for the didj
[17:57] <ReggieUK> including sdl
[17:57] <ReggieUK> and kernel
[17:58] <ReggieUK> on a ramdisk
[18:00] <traeak> not much ram left though
[18:01] <ukscone> might want to look at using dd-wrt -- people are running it on the zipitz2 now and ben nanonote has always used ot -- runs in tiny mount of ram and is pretty small
[18:01] <ukscone> tiny being reletive of course
[18:05] <Thorn_> seems aboriginal image+rootfs uses 5mb on boot, not too bad
[18:05] <Thorn_> probably gonna be 16mb by the time i've finished adding crap to it
[18:10] * ukscone (~Russell@cpe-68-173-234-162.nyc.res.rr.com) has left #raspberrypi
[18:12] <ShiftPlusOne> what's the correct term for a github repo....is it technically a repo or something else?
[18:12] <ShiftPlusOne> a branch?
[18:12] <ReggieUK> git repo
[18:13] <ReggieUK> or fork (if you forked someone elses repo)
[18:13] <ShiftPlusOne> ok, thanks
[18:19] <DaQatz> ReggieUK, using squashfs?
[18:24] * ukscone (~Russell@cpe-68-173-234-162.nyc.res.rr.com) has joined #raspberrypi
[18:27] <DaQatz> Wb ukscone
[18:28] <ukscone> ta muchly
[18:33] <ReggieUK> DaQatz, nope, initrd or whatever the ramdisk boot thing is
[18:33] <ReggieUK> you could be right though of course :D
[18:34] <ReggieUK> it's in a custom image file .cbf
[18:34] <ReggieUK> which has the kernel, a health and safety 32 rle image and the rootfs
[18:35] <ShiftPlusOne> initrd is for the weak
[18:35] <ReggieUK> building the kernel builds the rootfs into it, I'll have to look through the scripts to see the details
[18:35] <ShiftPlusOne> never figured out what the hell the point is
[18:35] <ReggieUK> If I break the nand on a didj, I can still boot the unit via the bootloader
[18:35] <ShiftPlusOne> ...good point
[18:35] <ReggieUK> and at least attempt to recover the nand
[18:36] <ReggieUK> + it's how I'm doing the no uart didj to explorer tutorial
[18:38] <ReggieUK> flash a modified kernel and rootfs with an explorer bootloader partition, reboot, the new rootfs flashes a modified bootloader, the modded bootloader allows me to do the ramdisk magic, boot that, enable network via usb gadget, mount NFS share containing the files to be flashed, burn, reboot, done
[18:39] <ReggieUK> this looks like it could be useful:
[18:39] <ReggieUK> http://hackaday.com/2011/08/31/vga-video-output-with-an-attiny/
[18:40] <DaQatz> Do you have JTAG tools?
[18:40] <DaQatz> Because you should be able to boot it using that.
[18:40] <DaQatz> Even without nand
[18:41] <ReggieUK> I do but I'm not brave enough to do the soldering on the jtag header yet
[18:43] <mdavey> be brave :) Or bribe a friend with beer
[18:44] <ReggieUK> ew can also uart boot, so there's no issues, + my nand isn't broken
[18:44] <traeak> making sure i have all the soldering stuff is fun...last job i did i resoldered the caps on my abit bp6 board...damn thing still failed a a while later anyways
[18:44] <DaQatz> Never have drunk men solder.
[18:45] <ShiftPlusOne> is qemu's git repo down again?
[18:45] <ReggieUK> and this thing that I'm doing is for people that are too cheap to buy an FTDI cable/breakout board, so jtag is a moot point :)
[18:46] <traeak> but having to only risk frying $25 worth of equipment...not bad :-p
[18:46] <ReggieUK> I'm getting there slowly with stuff but those are too small and I really don't want to break a didj right now, too much time invested
[18:47] <ReggieUK> the next $25+ spare will be spent on a pi
[18:47] <DaQatz> $25 for a pie?
[18:47] <traeak> heh
[18:47] <ReggieUK> :)
[18:48] <traeak> i'd prefer a raspberry tau, i guess that might be the next *improved* model
[18:48] <ukscone> w00t! just received my free makerfaire passes in the post :) gotta love stuff that is free, gratis and for nowt
[18:49] <traeak> i want a touchpad :(
[18:49] <ShiftPlusOne> ukscone, 'night
[18:49] <DaQatz> ShiftPlusOne, http://www.mediafire.com/?4we89sz3m7wywz4 <-- Qemu 0.15.50 got src
[18:49] <ukscone> i want a cray 3
[18:49] <ShiftPlusOne> DaQatz, Thorn_ already hosts the source. I was just asking to make sure my instructions aren't wrong
[18:50] <DaQatz> AH okies
[18:50] <traeak> no you don't :-p
[18:51] <ukscone> traeak: we have a touchpad on order and got in before the 4am on the 22nd deadline but hp is still saying we might not get it -- well actually they aren't actually even saying that they are sort of waffling in thee emails we are getting
[18:51] <ukscone> so we'll see what happens and when but they are still holding the money
[18:52] <traeak> ukscone: i got several orders cancelled on me...
[18:53] <ukscone> ours is still in limbo -- confirmed but all the links they send to check the status are wrong have to go through the small and medium business link to get out status
[18:54] <traeak> at least they run android. saw a rumour that samsung might pick up webos
[18:54] <ukscone> yup saw the same rumour
[18:54] <ukscone> wonder if anyone is going to port webos to the nook colour?
[18:55] <traeak> heh
[18:55] <traeak> everythign else has been ported to it
[18:55] <traeak> my wife uses our nook color
[18:55] <traeak> runs cm7 very nicely
[18:56] <ukscone> i don't like the android ports so far for the nook -- too cellphoney and because it has missing hardware most apps suck on it -- b&n's version is ok but they just keep dropping the ball and breeaking things
[18:56] <mdavey> DaQatz: Obviously you give him the beer afterwards :D
[18:56] <ukscone> i don't like cm7 i am a fussy git and if i don't have a phone i don't want it telling me stuff about the phone
[18:57] <ukscone> i tried cm7, autorooter, phirnmod all of them just too "borked" for my liking
[18:57] <traeak> what do you expect out of it?
[18:58] <ukscone> well stop telling me about frickign cellphone strength or 3g usage stuff in the settings -- if you are going to port it remove the cruft that don't exist i.e. port it properly not the halfbaked version
[18:59] <ukscone> also cm7 et al drain the battery faster than they should
[18:59] <ukscone> becuase it keeps trying to find a cell tower
[19:00] <ukscone> must admit that the apps that b&n lets into their store are pretty borked too as people keep leaving cellphone settings in them
[19:00] <ukscone> and b&n doesn't do the testing and vetting they claim
[19:00] <ShiftPlusOne> http://raspi.springnote.com/pages/8235788
[19:01] <traeak> i never note the cell phone stuff. I guess I set up cm7 a long time ago on that and i don't see any cell stuff atall.
[19:01] <ukscone> i admire the work people have done with the ports but finish the job already :)
[19:02] <ukscone> traeak: it's one of the biggest complaits in the various forums from what i remember on nookdev etc.
[19:02] <ukscone> but i've stuck with stock since about april so they might have fixed it by now i guess
[19:03] <traeak> stock? youch
[19:03] <ukscone> i only play a couple of games and read on it and the odd webpage or webmail check
[19:03] <traeak> pretty much my wife uses it to read the wall street journal, some book reading, maybe a bit of web stuff
[19:03] <ukscone> i do have 5876 books on it and 8gig of datasheets and devopment manuals
[19:04] <traeak> i have a gtablet which i do some browsing on and play pocket legends
[19:04] <traeak> yeah
[19:04] <traeak> i've read some on the past as well
[19:04] <traeak> the format isn't too small for those datasheets ?
[19:06] <ukscone> traeak: nope -- i enlarge if neccessary\
[19:06] <ukscone> hehehehe just sent an email to the wife that kids disbursement arrived
[19:06] <ukscone> here is my reply
[19:06] <ukscone> On 8/31/2011 12:48 PM, xxxxx xxxxx wrote:
[19:06] <ukscone> they are in check form?
[19:06] <ukscone>
[19:06] <ukscone> no they sent it by armoured car in small unmarked bills :D /me ducks
[19:07] <ukscone> i just got a phone call from her telling me i'd better hid as she is going to hit me into the middle of next week for being a smart alec
[19:08] * mdavey (~chatzilla@mail.aminocom.com) Quit (Ping timeout: 264 seconds)
[19:11] <ReggieUK> does anyone know if there are any analog pins on the 16 GPIO on the raspi?
[19:21] <ukscone> just remembered another good kids programme from the 70s
[19:21] <ukscone> the herbs :) just got sent a youtube link to some episodes
[19:24] <DaQatz> ??!
[19:25] <ReggieUK> ha, yeah :)
[19:26] <ReggieUK> hector's house
[19:26] <ReggieUK> the herbs with the little chives?
[19:27] <ShiftPlusOne> Are you making me write tutorials just so that I say quiet?
[19:28] <ShiftPlusOne> *stay
[19:28] <ukscone> nope we are making you write tutorials because we are too lazy to do and we are watching vids on youtube anyway
[19:28] <ukscone> ReggieUK: the moomins :)
[19:28] <ShiftPlusOne> Good enough for me.
[19:32] <ReggieUK> baba papa
[19:35] <Thorn_> damn that old nas board lived
[19:35] <Thorn_> took a while to solder the switch back on and mostly spent time digging for a 3v cmos battery :P
[19:37] * datagutt (~datagutt@unaffiliated/datagutt) Quit (Quit: kthxbai)
[19:42] * IT_Sean (~IT_Sean@applefritter/IRCStaff/UltimateMacUser1) has joined #raspberrypi
[19:42] <IT_Sean> Have i mentioned how much i dislike running cable?
[19:43] * datagutt (~datagutt@unaffiliated/datagutt) has joined #raspberrypi
[19:44] <ukscone> IT_Sean: not in the last week
[19:44] * mdavey (~chatzilla@host217-35-75-188.in-addr.btopenworld.com) has joined #raspberrypi
[19:45] <IT_Sean> well, i dont like doing it
[19:45] <IT_Sean> I did it at my old job, which i left to take a tech support job
[19:45] <IT_Sean> Guess what i'm doing between calls...
[19:45] <IT_Sean> ... running data & voice lines for two new offices on the 2nd floor of our building.
[19:46] <ukscone> dancing on the desk with a lime ricky in your hand?
[19:46] <IT_Sean> No
[19:46] <IT_Sean> (although, there was that one time... ...)
[19:46] <ukscone> was that the time with the stripper and the bishop?
[19:47] <IT_Sean> No... that was a completly different event.
[19:47] <IT_Sean> (i never said this job wasn't fun)
[19:47] <ukscone> lazy sods no new commits to qemu in the last 8 hours
[19:47] <mdavey> maybe they don't have a commit cow.
[19:48] <ukscone> they are probably on the golf course -- with their commit-tee
[19:50] <ukscone> ugh i can't find the hd that has my fossil repositories on it
[19:51] <ukscone> i was sure it was the one labeled "fossil repositories" but obviously not
[19:51] <mdavey> looks like there will be another 100 forum members before the night is out.
[19:51] <ukscone> mdavey: soon be time to have a troll cull then
[19:57] * IT_Sean grabs his axe
[19:57] * IT_Sean applies war paint
[19:59] <traeak> ukscone: you like fossil ?
[20:00] <ukscone> traeak: if you mean the scm then yes
[20:00] <ukscone> actually if you mean the old dos serial thing then yes too
[20:00] <ukscone> if you mean extinct dinosaur parts then yes too
[20:01] <IT_Sean> He likes fossil suppositories by the sound of it...
[20:01] <ukscone> fido, opus, seasomething serial something layer
[20:01] <ukscone> serial interface layer that was it
[20:01] <ukscone> fido, opus, seasomething serial interface layer
[20:02] <traeak> ukscone: still using cvs due to some key features mercurial, git and svn don't support
[20:03] <traeak> ukscone: if i had my way i'd be happy with cvs upgraded to handle file and directory renames + the extra level of distributed stuff...fossil seems to be closest to that...except for the lack of modules support
[20:03] <ukscone> traeak: i like fossil as it's so easy to install, has some nice extras the wiki and bug tracker and it seems to work quite well at least for a small group of users
[20:03] <ShiftPlusOne> Another page up http://raspi.springnote.com/pages/8235976
[20:04] <ahven> hehe :)
[20:04] <ShiftPlusOne> or I should just put instructions how to install linux there
[20:05] <traeak> that page is empty (for me at least)
[20:05] <IT_Sean> people need instructions to install linux?
[20:05] <traeak> heh
[20:05] <IT_Sean> o.O
[20:05] <ShiftPlusOne> IT_Sean, if they clicked on that page, they probably do.
[20:05] <IT_Sean> ahh... okies.
[20:05] <traeak> windows was really designd to do windows development. it's never beenin MS's interesting to easily support cross compilation
[20:06] <traeak> been in MS's interest :-p
[20:06] <traeak> heh
[20:06] <traeak> i think a DOS like environmetn for rpi would be useful
[20:06] <ShiftPlusOne> busybox...
[20:07] <IT_Sean> heh... funny story... I had a paper to write, back in my days a sa student, which i never bothered to even start. I had to submit something, or the automatied web submission thingey would keep sending me harrassing emails. So i downloaded a linux install how-to PDF and submitted that.
[20:07] <traeak> http://www.bttr-software.de/forum/forum_entry.php?id=10294
[20:07] <DaQatz> ShiftPlusOne, why the versitile board?
[20:07] <IT_Sean> The funny bit... i got an A, and that professr has been a devout linux user since
[20:07] <ShiftPlusOne> IT_Sean, brilliant
[20:08] <IT_Sean> :)
[20:08] <ShiftPlusOne> DaQatz, http://www.arm.com/products/tools/development-boards/index.php
[20:08] <ShiftPlusOne> It supports the CPU and it's supported by ARM
[20:09] <ShiftPlusOne> And that's what Eben recommended.
[20:09] <DaQatz> Huh
[20:10] <DaQatz> RealView has support for the ARM1176JZF-S without patching.
[20:14] <ShiftPlusOne> Are you questioning Eben? D=
[20:15] <DaQatz> No just saying, seems odd.
[20:16] <ShiftPlusOne> I know, I've wondered that myself. Aboriginal linux also uses versatile for ARMv6 and so does most of the stuff I've seen online, so it seems like there are some advantages (more 'versatile' perhaps?)
[20:16] <ShiftPlusOne> maybe better qemu support as well?
[20:17] <ShiftPlusOne> "Several variants of the ARM RealView baseboard are emulated, including the EB, PB-A8 and PBX-A9. Due to interactions with the bootloader, only certain Linux kernel configurations work out of the box on these boards. "
[20:17] <DaQatz> Ah
[20:18] <ShiftPlusOne> But honestly, I don't know, I've asked the same question on here ages ago.
[20:20] <DaQatz> http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/4594/snapq.png
[20:21] <ahven> when cross-compiling for raspi, what to use in CFLAGS? armv4t doesn't seem to fit
[20:21] <ShiftPlusOne> why armv4? it's an armv6 processor
[20:21] <Thorn_> hmm
[20:21] <ShiftPlusOne> hang on
[20:21] * ahven does a little facepalm
[20:21] <Thorn_> how to gain access to a bricked device?
[20:22] <ShiftPlusOne> http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.6.1/gcc/ARM-Options.html#ARM-Options
[20:22] <Thorn_> old nas... can ping it, just no web ui to flash it
[20:22] * IT_Sean hands Thorn_ a hammer
[20:22] <DaQatz> ahven, I use -mcpu=arm1176jzf-s
[20:24] <ahven> ugh, compiler says it's a bad value? :P
[20:25] <ahven> not suitable toolchain?
[20:25] <DaQatz> Are you combining it with -march or -mtune ?
[20:25] <ahven> only -mcpu
[20:25] <DaQatz> Hmm
[20:25] <DaQatz> Maybe
[20:25] <ahven> CFLAGS=-mcpu=arm1176jzf-s make
[20:26] <ahven> ARCH & CROSS_COMPILE are in the env
[20:26] <DaQatz> It is an arm toolchain you're using right?
[20:28] <ShiftPlusOne> gentoo uses CFLAGS="-Os -march=armv6j -mfloat-abi=softfp -mfpu=vfp -pipe" I think
[20:29] <ahven> yep, kernel works perfectly with it
[20:29] <DaQatz> I remove -march and add -mcpu
[20:40] * ChrisLenz (~ChrisLenz@c-71-194-107-12.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
[20:41] * ChrisLenz (~ChrisLenz@c-71-194-107-12.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #raspberrypi
[20:58] * ChrisLenz (~ChrisLenz@c-71-194-107-12.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
[20:59] * ChrisLenz (~ChrisLenz@c-71-194-107-12.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #raspberrypi
[21:03] <ahven> hmm, giving buildroot a run
[21:03] <ahven> seems interesting
[21:05] * IT_Sean consoles into ahven and issues: debug aaa subsys
[21:08] <ShiftPlusOne> ahven, it's pretty damn good.
[21:09] <ShiftPlusOne> I suggest you make a custom folder and put your .config in there then use that under buildroot kernel settings
[21:09] <ShiftPlusOne> also put the patch in there
[21:09] <ahven> trying a quick run without the kernel compilation
[21:10] <ahven> but yeah, would be the best solution
[21:10] <ShiftPlusOne> ah, then you might want to change the toolchain options. it uses uclibc by default, you can tell it to use codesourcery's toolchain
[21:10] <ahven> so modules get in their place
[21:10] <ShiftPlusOne> it will download and set up the toolchain itself
[21:11] <ahven> what did you select for target arch btw?
[21:11] <ahven> arm610 or generic?
[21:11] <ShiftPlusOne> neither
[21:11] <ShiftPlusOne> checking
[21:12] <ShiftPlusOne> arm
[21:12] <ShiftPlusOne> and our actual CPU under arch variant
[21:12] <ShiftPlusOne> arm1176-;fjkda;kldsfjqwaeofij
[21:13] <ShiftPlusOne> arm1176-jzf-s
[21:13] <ahven> aah
[21:13] <ahven> it scrolls :D
[21:13] <ShiftPlusOne> arm1176jzf-s * even
[21:13] <ahven> thought it was a short list
[21:14] <ShiftPlusOne> I also tell it to use udev rather than the static list
[21:15] <ShiftPlusOne> the main problem with it is that it doesn't keep track of changes, so if you make menuconfig to change something, it may not register or it may even break stuff, so you need to 'make clean' first
[21:16] <ahven> thought so
[21:24] <ShiftPlusOne> oh, and enable ext2 in the filesystem options, so that you can use it directly with qemu
[21:26] * ChrisLenz (~ChrisLenz@c-71-194-107-12.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
[21:27] * ChrisLenz (~ChrisLenz@c-71-194-107-12.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #raspberrypi
[21:27] <ahven> yep, did that
[21:30] * datagutt (~datagutt@unaffiliated/datagutt) Quit (Quit: Computer has gone to sleep.)
[21:33] <ahven> hmm, it downloaded gcc and just idling there
[21:33] <ahven> no cpu activity at all
[21:34] <ShiftPlusOne> then tell it to use codesourcery
[21:34] <ahven> using it
[21:34] * xaxes__ (xaxes@bshellz.pl) has joined #raspberrypi
[21:34] <ShiftPlusOne> anyway... blini and and maple syrup time. (afk)
[21:34] <xaxes__> hello
[21:34] <ShiftPlusOne> and hello
[21:35] <IT_Sean> hello
[21:38] <ahven> ello
[21:39] <ShiftPlusOne> any Canadians here?
[21:41] <ShiftPlusOne> guess not
[21:41] <ahven> :)
[22:04] <Thorn_> great
[22:05] <Thorn_> got it working, got access to it
[22:05] <IT_Sean> looks like you are the only one
[22:05] <Thorn_> then proceeded to brick it for good :\
[22:05] * IT_Sean may or may not have bricked a device earlier this week
[22:05] <traeak> Thorn_: what are you bricking ?
[22:05] <Thorn_> the old nas i binned
[22:05] <traeak> ahh gotcha
[22:05] <Thorn_> its the board from an edimax ns 2502
[22:06] * IT_Sean suggests a through dosage of high voltage
[22:06] <Thorn_> it has an armv4
[22:07] <traeak> Broadcom BCM4716 mips base interesting
[22:07] <traeak> broadcom dabbles a lot in cpu architectures
[22:07] <traeak> that's just the asus r16n or whatever
[22:08] * gomiboy (~frodone@ppp-41-18.21-151.libero.it) has joined #raspberrypi
[22:09] <Thorn_> this board is screwed but its still pretty useful
[22:10] <Thorn_> now that it's well and truely bricked, the 8 LED's are doing such an amazing dynamic lightshow that it's keeping me entertained to no end
[22:10] <IT_Sean> tehehe
[22:10] * IT_Sean resists the temptation to upload the LED TEST firmware to all of the devices in the test rack across the hall from his office
[22:15] * ReggieUK resists the urge to troll abishur on the forum
[22:16] <ReggieUK> Quote from reggie on August 31, 2011, 18:08
[22:16] <ReggieUK> Have you thought of doing a 'buy one give one' scheme? It could be a nice way for people who want to help out to give to deserving causes.
[22:16] <ReggieUK> reply from abishur
[22:16] <ReggieUK> Uh oh Reggie, bad things happen to people who ask questions found on the FAQs page... okay so they don't really but it would be pretty cool if we could get the steam of a Raspberry to wind up in your bed a la the Godfather.
[22:17] <ReggieUK> so this guy has a problem with people buying 2 units and giving one away gratis to deserving causes
[22:17] <ReggieUK> and points me to the FAQs which do not talk about it at all
[22:17] <Thorn_> the faq does mention
[22:18] <ReggieUK> what does it mention?
[22:18] <Thorn_> Will there be a buy-one-give-one program?
[22:18] <Thorn_> Yes. We plan to implement a program of this sort, but you can also just buy one if you prefer.
[22:18] <Thorn_> http://www.raspberrypi.org/?page_id=8 ....
[22:18] <mdavey> it mentions there will be a buy one gift one scheme for those that want to participate
[22:20] <IT_Sean> TROLL!
[22:20] <IT_Sean> OFF WITH HIS 'EAD!
[22:20] <ReggieUK> oh dear, my bad :D
[22:20] <ReggieUK> glad I didn't hit send yet then
[22:20] <mdavey> :D
[22:21] <ReggieUK> see what happens when you've just woken up from a nap
[22:21] <Thorn_> pretty sure there must be something i can do with this bricked nas
[22:21] <IT_Sean> 40 minutes to knocking-off time! :D
[22:21] <IT_Sean> Thorn_: strip the board, frame it, and hang it on your wall
[22:21] <IT_Sean> ... wire in a small battery to keep the LEDs lit
[22:21] <mdavey> you're a serial killer, IT_Sean?
[22:21] <IT_Sean> I am not.
[22:21] <ReggieUK> whats bricked about it
[22:21] <Thorn_> i went to flash it with the stnadard firmware
[22:21] <Thorn_> it died as usual mid flash
[22:22] <Thorn_> (this is the reason i chucked it in the first place)
[22:22] <ReggieUK> what chip is onboard?
[22:22] <Thorn_> Storlink SL3516
[22:22] * mdavey wondering who IT_Sean is going to knock off.
[22:22] <IT_Sean> the next customer who calls me two minutes before i am set to leave the office
[22:23] <ReggieUK> I take it there isn't a datasheet for it?
[22:23] <Thorn_> not that i've found
[22:23] * mdavey could probably have guessed IT_Sean waqsn't a serial killer. Pre-announcing a murder is probably a newbie mistake.
[22:23] <ReggieUK> can you ID the flash chips on it?
[22:24] * IT_Sean is not a murderer
[22:24] <Thorn_> i couldn't get google hits for any of the other chips on the board
[22:24] <mdavey> not yet ;)
[22:24] <IT_Sean> ... 'ess you count computer equipment. ...in which case i might be responsible for the death of a cisco router
[22:24] <IT_Sean> *;less
[22:24] <ReggieUK> so I take it you screwed the bootloader when you flashed it?
[22:24] <IT_Sean> Aye
[22:25] <Thorn_> no idea
[22:25] <Thorn_> it was iffy since the day i bouhgt it
[22:25] <Thorn_> bought*
[22:25] <IT_Sean> oh, i thought you meant me... :p
[22:25] <Thorn_> there's two Zentel chips, and a arther big bulky M-Tek chip
[22:26] <Thorn_> the m-tek is the only one that looks like it might be the rom but i cant find any information for it
[22:27] <mdavey> Reggie: That would make an awesome sig quote. Thou perhaps not PG-13.
[22:27] <IT_Sean> That is an awesome sig line
[22:27] * IT_Sean steals it for another forum
[22:28] <traeak> btw, i gather the driver for the usb connected ethernet to be pretty standard and simple ?
[22:29] <mdavey> traeak: you talking about LAN9512?
[22:29] <ReggieUK> hehehehe
[22:29] <traeak> mdavey: of course
[22:30] <mdavey> look for smsc95xx driver
[22:30] <traeak> mdavey: i also have a pegasus based 10/100 usb adapter
[22:30] <traeak> funny enough that one is usb1.1
[22:31] <mdavey> dunno about pegasus
[22:33] <mdavey> http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/drivers/net/usb/pegasus.c
[22:35] <ReggieUK> ok, I feel I have a suitable response given my mistake over buy one give one
[22:35] <ReggieUK> If I find a warm fruit in my bed I'll know it's either one or the other of you 2.
[22:35] <ReggieUK> My bad, I really have read the FAQs, although no one said I should remember what I read so I feel slightly vindicated.
[22:35] <IT_Sean> I thought we behedded the troll?
[22:35] <mdavey> /kick ReggieUK
[22:36] <mdavey> /ban ReggieUK
[22:36] <ReggieUK> that's not trolling
[22:36] <mdavey> ...that kinda beheading? Seems a bit harsh, but oh well.
[22:36] <traeak> pegasus is just fine
[22:36] <ahven> whee, toolchain finished
[22:36] <IT_Sean> meh... nevermind. I don't feel like having to sharpen my beheadding axe again today
[22:37] <ahven> about an hour for that
[22:37] * mdavey does wish he had lock powers on the forum thou.
[22:38] <IT_Sean> you say that now, but, adminning a forum is a pain in the arse
[22:38] <traeak> they'reusing wordpress and a wordpress plugin for the forums?
[22:38] <mdavey> I can delete, but not lock posts.
[22:38] <mdavey> traeak: yes
[22:40] <traeak> mdavey: wordpress seems to suck hard for good management of horizontal space
[22:41] <traeak> i mean about half my web browser is unused space onth eforums page
[22:41] <mdavey> I'm not sure how much of that is wordpress per se and how much is the particular theme they selected.
[22:44] <traeak> gotcha, not a biggie
[22:46] <IT_Sean> at+ms=v22b;
[22:46] <IT_Sean> dammit, wrong keyboard
[22:50] <ahven> sigh,I think I will be better off with a clean install before attempting any cross-compilations
[22:52] <atts> what is everyone using qemu for? an ARM platform?
[22:52] <Thorn_> yep
[22:52] <ahven> duh :P
[22:52] <Thorn_> nn folks
[23:01] * IT_Sean (~IT_Sean@applefritter/IRCStaff/UltimateMacUser1) Quit (Quit: off)
[23:08] * atts (~asheehan@static-99-136-171-68.axsne.net) has left #raspberrypi
[23:10] <ahven> or chroot for buildroot
[23:11] <ahven> but nighties
[23:26] <ReggieUK> g'night Thorn_
[23:27] <ReggieUK> a bit late.....
[23:29] * mdavey (~chatzilla@host217-35-75-188.in-addr.btopenworld.com) Quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
[23:31] <ShiftPlusOne> ...'night Thorn_

These logs were automatically created by RaspberryPiBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.